It’s Thursday again! Want some links? OKAY!
This week saw the release of my second cookbook, and after months of anticipation and one hecka fun launch party, all I want to do now is sleep for maybe like two days? Or at least sit down for one quiet moment to let out a long and cleansing WHEEEEEW kind of breath.
Wheeeeeew! (I’m glad it’s finally out there, can you tell?)
How about some LINKS, huh?
- Next week is Valentine’s Day! Maybe we should make these Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies with Whipped Espresso Ganache
- Also, speaking of that holiday, this is all I really want on February 14th.
- If you’re in Seattle this Friday, maybe come to this event?
- I don’t know whether to laugh or cry?
- But like seriously, is this real life?
- Do you have one of these instant pots? Do I need one?
- This looks so fun! Might have to start getting crafty over here.
- This is hilarious.
- Good advice.
It’s here! It’s here!
Yep, One Pan & Done is out in the world today, and I feel like shouting it from the mountaintops, and maybe also hiding under a rock (or, perhaps more comfortably, just the bed covers) until the nerves pass. But maybe I’ll just take a deep breath and eat some truffle mushroom lasagna?
Yes, let’s do that.
Writing this cookbook was a whirlwind affair — I found out I was pregnant a few weeks after I began work on it, and the ensuing nausea and food aversions (to anything besides cereal and cheese, basically) made recipe testing… interesting. But, more than ever, I craved simplicity and ease in the kitchen, so once I started enjoying food again the (one pot! one pan! streamlined!) recipes made their way to the page faster than I thought they might.
I have to pinch myself these days when I stop to think about the fact that, not only do I have an actual baby (who is about to turn one next month!?! what is happening?!?), I have another book baby out in the wild. Maybe even in your hands! Maybe you’re already cooking from it!? Sigh… they grow up so fast, don’t they?
I feel so lucky to get to do this kind of work, and though it often (on publication day perhaps more so than on other days) feels scary and surreal, I don’t take a second of it for granted. Thanks to you for coming along for the ride.
Can we eat lasagna now?
(Photos by the wonderful Aran Goyoaga of Cannelle Et Vanille.)
Your meatballs! As promised. I”ll cut right to the chase here: these are good. You’re going to want to make them right away.
These little lovelies are meaty but light, flecked through with bits of fresh cilantro and ginger, full of brightness and zip, respectively. And some spice, too, because I know you like to keep things interesting. Maybe you’ll make these for your Super Bowl (slash Puppy Bowl, who are we kidding) party? They’re great on their own, but I’ve also been throwing them into a simple broccoli, green curry coconut soup (recipe coming soon), where they feel like a hearty and healthy meal.
Perhaps notably, these are the kind of straightforward meatballs that skip any fillers like breadcrumbs or cheese, so they’re gluten- and dairy-free, which normally wouldn’t be my thing but which recently was kind of my thing, on account of the fact I was trying out that Whole 30 situation that’s going around. I’ll just say that it was nice while it lasted (a Whole 13 days, oops) but we’ve since parted ways and I’m okay with it. I’ll still be eating these meatballs.
(Also, these are a ONE PAN deal! In honor of easy deliciousness but also in honor of my new book, which comes out on Tuesday. NO BIG DEAL HOLY CRAP. Have you ordered your copy yet? Please?)
The news keeps getting worse and worse, and I’ve yet to give you any recipes this year. But soon! Because I think sharing a meal together might do us all some good about now. Tomorrow is for meatballs.
But today, some links!
- Curried Coconut Chicken Soup is all I want to eat right now.
- Seattle peeps, come to my book launch party? It’s on Tuesday!!
- This is fascinating to watch. Could you do it?
- Some fun ways to decorate large, blank walls.
- There’s a new And Eat It Too up today! (Finally.)
- Hmm. Do you have one of these? Color me intrigued.
- Just wanted to remind you that this movie exists and is great. (Happy Groundhog Day!)
Twenty-seventeen! We are here. Wasn’t this supposed to be the future? Because it’s apparently the present. I am old, basically. So… happy new year!
And I promise to come at you with more recipes soon! I know I’ve been away for too long, but spending my time cozying up and enjoying the holidays with my little one has been sooo delicious. Thanks for sticking with me.
How about some links, mm?
Three days til Christmas! Four days til Hannukah! This train’s moving fast. I feel bad that I didn’t get you anything except these links:
- Eggnog Marshmallows are a thing! Try one in your coffee. 😍
- I’m late to this party (always), but have you seen this? 💅🏼
- J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, throwing it down! (Pie rumors.)
- Chocolate sales are up? Guilty.
- How to get the smell of frying out of your kitchen. #HannukahProblems
- This is fun.
- Adding to my “to make” list…
The holidays are upon us! In full force, y’know? There are string lights to deal with and parking spots to yell over and crowded stores to shove our way through. Oh, and treats to make! For the neighbors and Santa and everyone. If you’re looking for something festive to whip up this weekend, don’t fret! I’ve got you covered:
Salty Rosemary Toffee Crunch is the not-really-baking baking project you need right now.
Spicy Molasses & Brown Sugar Cookies are THE holiday cookie of holiday cookies. They’re the coziest.
My Favorite Cut-Out Sugar Cookies are the best in the biz. Perfectly textured, not too sweet. You heard it here!
Chewy Holiday Spiced Snickerdoodles are a big YES.
Chocolate Candy Cane Crackles are meant for Santa’s plate. Or your mouth. Whichevs.
These White Chocolate Gingerbread Blondies are maaaajor.
And finally, Christmas Gingerbread! The fluff, fluffiest cake of the year.
Happy holiday baking, everyone!
What happened?!? Apparently I blinked and Thanksgiving jumped right into Christmas! This time of year always flies by. In a rush of tree trimmings and car robberies (both of which took place this week, so that’s cool).
Let’s get to some links, shall we?
- Classic Gingerbread Cookies? Why yes, I think so.
- An amusing remix of the original classic, minus the creep factor.
- I always love Joanna’s annual gift guides.
- Adding these to the “must make” list this season.
- This is pretty cute.
- I feel like we all could use this right now.
- Every year this is fantastic 😂
- Holiday cookie generator!
- A new episode of And Eat It Too went up today!
Thank you all for your comments on my last post — it’s so lovely reading about all of your holiday traditions, and I can’t wait to (randomly) pick a winner of the giveaway this Sunday! (If you haven’t entered the contest yet, there’s still time!)
In the meantime, here are some links for you this week:
- Thanksgiving is ONE WEEK from today! Need some help?
- How to make your congressman (or woman, but probably man 🙄) listen to you.
- The DRY Sparkling Virtual Holiday Pairing Party is here! Check out all of the rad recipes.
- This is old but OH SO GOOD.
- Cookies for breakfast? OKAY! I’ve been enjoying these bad boys (particularly the gingerbread flavor) these days.
- I’ve made this cheesecake for the past 4 Thanksgivings and it’s the best.
- There’s a new And Eat It Too up today!
- This is pretty amazing.
- More Pentatonix, because I’m obsessed and also Leonard Cohen.
- I AM TOTES A HUFFLEPUFF.