There are certain things in life which, no matter the spin you try to bestow, scream ADULT. Things like vacuuming. Lady doctor appointments. Home improvement projects. MORTGAGE PAYMENTS. Amiright? (Note: a decidedly un-adult pastime is googling the spelling of “vacuuming.”)
Ben and I fixed our broken dryer this weekend (so, fine, Ben fixed the dryer and I kind of helped by holding a thing (technical term) in place while he replaced the belt. Because, apparently, dryers need belts? #teamwork), which I think pretty much glues our “grown-up” badges in place, front and center.
Also, today, I contemplated buying a new bath mat AND a magazine storage container.
…IS THIS MY LIFE??
Most days, being an adult is fun. Because I can have gummy bears for lunch if I want, and also bedtime schmedtime. Other days, when I remember that I need to pay my dentist bill and mow the jungle that has become our lawn, being adult seems… less fun.
wait! there’s more…
It’s August! (My birthday month, hooray!) And it’s Thursday! Check out what the internets had to say this week.
- Have you ever made homemade Oreos? No excuses!
- Uptown Funk sung by the movies. Hee.
- The best thing Joy ever ate. I’m into her doughnut/cannoli suggestions.
- Ladies of literature do dinner.
- I love Mindy Kaling. Great essay.
- Farewell, John Stewart. (sob)
- Deb’s got me craving cold sesame noodles something FIERCE.
- Food blog mad libs – so good.
Happy Monday, friends! Ben and I had the chance to try our first Hello Fresh box a few weeks ago, and I’ve been meaning to tell you about it. Have you heard of this meal delivery service phenomenon? You go online to choose your recipes for the week (three, in our case), and then a lovely box, full of fresh, perfectly portioned ingredients, plus recipe instructions, magically appears on your front doorstep. (Wingardium leviosa!?)
It’s pretty neat.
(The box comes with lots of insulated packaging, so the ingredients stay cool, which is definitely great for the ingredients but possibly bad for the environment?)
The recipes we chose (the choices change weekly) were the tortellini kale gratin, Thai beef and carrot noodle salad, and bbq chicken sliders. The ingredients for each recipe were portioned out in their own, clearly-labeled boxes, which took any guesswork out of identifying which ingredients went with which recipe. To be honest, opening the little boxes to find the neat, perfectly labeled packages of carrots, concentrated chicken stock, Parmesan cheese and tabasco really lit up my check-box-oriented brain. Is that sad?
wait! there’s more…
Hi, beautiful friends! It’s been a busy, travel-y kind of week for me. Lots of fun things on the horizon. How are YOU? Here are a few thinky links for your weekend!
- Apricot & Lavender Galettes sound like a good call this weekend.
- Time to make the doughnuts! These look incred.
- Remember that time my dad dropped an album? This tune is one of my favorites.
- The peeps over at Saveur put together this comprehensive tutorial on all things PIE and I’m okay with it.
- A very powerful article.
- This report secretly thrills me.
- Currently coveting this bright little pick-me-up.
- I’m so confused.
- Email can be intimidating. These are excellent tips.
- Dave Chappell + Jimmy Fallon discussing Kanye West… so good.
Hey, peeps! This week I’ve been spending my time eating chocolate peanut butter ice cream and trying to revive my sad-looking, under-watered and overheated garden. Fun stuff.
Here, some fun links for your weekend!
- Now’s the time for a Raspberry Nectarine Clafoutis! Easy and delicious.
- Burrito engagement photos? Amazing.
- I’m so excited for Sarah’s cookbook! And love reading about her process.
- Easiest ice cream cake ever!
- Are you all caught up on the And Eat It Too podcast? We’re chatting with RUTH REICHL tomorrow! (Is this real life??) Tune in!!
- This girl’s got MOVES.
- Hah. (But like, seriously?)
- Feeling stressed? Find some nature!
- Ileana’s Peach Pie Bars look the bomb dot com.
It’s #popsicleweek Thursday! Here are your linky thinks for the weekend:
- SO MANY wonderful popsicles this year. I love popsicle week!!
- How to judge a person by their ice cream choice. (Magnum double peanut butter 4 eva).
- Well, this is terrifying (and it’s all anyone here in Seattle can talk about).
- It’s really fun to see my high school classmate crushingggg the New York Times best-seller list!
- Amy + Tina = yesssss. (this actually looks pretty dumb but you know I’ll see it anyway).
- Hello, Pluto!
- I just thought you might like to be reminded that Lemon Cream Ice Cream exists and is delicious.
- First dates are hard.
- Amazon #PrimeDay fails.
Honey, DEFINITELY DO. Make popsicles! It’s POPSICLE WEEK! Thank you, Billy.
This is the second year that I’ve had the privilege of participating in this most wonderful of web-wide holidays – last year I went creamy and then creamier with homemade Dark Chocolate Pudding Pops (whoa) and Date Shake Popsicles (whoaaaa), so this year I’m going light, fresh, and fruity.
It’s been hotter than hot so far this summer – the blueberry bush in my garden has basically fried to death, and my lawn is the color of Justin Timberlake’s old hair. I’ve been craving cooooool. Icy. Sour. GREEN.
Honeydew agua fresca popsicles! They fit all criteria. They’re subtly, melon-y sweet, plenty tangy from a healthy dose of lime juice, and the prettiest shade of palest green. Plus they’re only 2 ingredients! So breezy!
HAPPY POPSICLE WEEK, dreamlovers. Be sure to check out all of the amazing popsicle recipes floating around the web this week. #popsicleweek2015
wait! there’s more…
Thursday links are here! Eat em up.
- Great news: next week is POPSICLE WEEK!! Remember these dark chocolate pudding pops from last year?
- Father/daughter beat boxing WOW WOW WOW.
- The Myth of Big, Bad Gluten.
- Could this possibly be the absolute best mashup of all time? IT COULD. #newsies #bruno
- 7 Ways to Chop an Onion. heh.
- I’m just not sure how to feel about this. #doublestuffallegiance
- A dose of culinary medicine sends med students to the kitchen.
- Did you guys listen to the latest And Eat It Too! Podcast? Because life is just a bowl of cherries!
- Standard watermelon procedure is just straight up, cold from the fridge, right? Well color me intrigued…
- What 10 nude athletes can teach you about loving your body.
Home feels good. It’s hot in Seattle, our plants are sad and I’m jet-lagged as hell, but still. Home!
I ate an entire box of macaron cookies from Pierre Hermé on the plane ride back (I mean, what else is a person supposed to do when she’s spent all of her airport time buying chocolate at duty-free instead of a new book to read, and it turns out the plane is an old one and there are NO TVs?!? Pray, tell me), and between that and the endless pounds of jamón I consumed in Spain, I think it’s time for some VEGETABLES up in here.
Or, you know, muffins. Eeeeasing back into it, people.
wait! there’s more…
Posted in Breads & Cakes, Breakfast, Recipes, Snacks
Tagged apricot, baking, breakfast, carrot, mango, muffins, snack, vitamin A