Our first November Thursday! Something tells me the rest of this year is going to FLY. Why is that always the way? Let’s slow down with some fun links for the weekend.
- I can’t believe it’s true, but Thanksgiving is upon us. (WHAT?) Do you have your Apple Galette recipe ready to go?
- Beautiful photos of a saffron harvest.
- Are you all caught up on the And Eat It Too Podcast? Our latest episode gets deep into Butterfingers.
- Serious Eats made this awesome Thanksgiving survival guide and you’re going to want to take a look.
- Tablescapes, y’all.
- So long, Mark Bittman!
- Best doughnuts in each state. I smell a (really great/possibly diabetic) road trip?
- Kelly Clarkson slaysssss (with Josh Groban).
- Made me chuckle.
Happy Thursday linkday! Here are some good ones for your weekend:
- Remember when we made Reese’s in cake form?
- What’s the actual deal with that scary meat/cancer study, anyway?
- An excellent cookie primer.
- Should kids be opting out of homework?
- Chocolate fashion show!?
- Most definitely obsessed with this music video. (And, relatedly, looking for a willing crew to dress like these gals with me for Halloween. But seriously HOW GOOD.)
- Haha! Good one.
- An excellent guide to winter squash!
- Good on you, REI.
- This is cool. #USA
Hello, Thursday! I’ve been recipe testing like a mad woman this week, though I can’t share any recipes just yet. Stay tuned! In the meantime, here are some fun thinking links for your weekend:
- I think it might be time to revisit Carrot Bread (for snacking and things).
- Did you check out all of the amazingly beautiful pumpkin recipes on the web yesterday for the #VirtualPumpkinParty? Check them all out on Sara’s blog!
- Speaking of Sara, have you seen her Etsy page? Beautiful prints for sale!
- Have you listened to the latest episode of And Eat It Too? There’s a new one up today!!
- I’m not yet a parent, but these are hilarious.
- I’m excited to see this.
- Why is it so hard to make friends over 30?
- Have you seen these videos? Chuckles all around.
- ❤️ Terry Gross.
GUYS! It’s almost Halloween. And while the world is busy pumpkin-spicing everything (and I do mean everything), we people of the internet (and my friend Sara, in particular) decided to take it one step further and positively explode with pumpkin love today. Welcome to #VirtualPumpkinParty 2015!
If I were more on top of my stuff, I would have prepared a fresh, new, brilliantly orange and pumpkin-y delight for all you virtual partygoers. As it is, my stuff is all over the damn place, and a look back at some of my most pumpkin-est successes will just have to do.
Success number one and all-around classic? Why, Traditional Pumpkin Pie, of course. This one’s a winner.
And who could forget this luscious, cool and creamy Pumpkin Mousse? (Tip: it’s extra delicious with crushed Halloween candy bars on top. You’re welcome.)
Leek & Fairytale Pumpkin Soup is fairytale good, especially on a chilly fall day.
And finally, this Pumpkin Ginger Cake with Salted Maple Glaze. …Yeah. I’m gonna just leave that here.
And look at all of the other wonderful pumpkinness happening around the web today!
Just gorgeous. I heard a rumor that they’re expecting a shortage of pumpkin this year, so best to stock up early and get cooking. Happy Pumpkin Party, all!
Hello, Thursday people! How’s your week going? Mine’s been full of birthday baking projects and other baking projects. And debates about how tacky is TOO tacky when it comes to Halloween decorations for the new house. Any thoughts?
Meantimes, enjoy these tasty links:
- The time to make Apple Crumb Pie is NOW!
- Cheese addiction is real.
- Wine pairings for Halloween candy. #fancy
- Keyboard waffle? I mean, sure.
- Good on you, Danny Meyer.
- Why must we hate the things teen girls love?
- I just subscribed to Lenny (the newsletter put out by Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner) and am digging it so far.
- INA, INA, INA (I am chanting, for the record).
- Really enjoyed Megan’s post, and the recipe for Dorie’s Apple Squares looks fantastic.
- I’d like to buy and then live exclusively in these sweatpants.
Okay people, let’s get serious here. Leaves are turning and temps are dropping and it’s definitely time! In short, it’s a Friday in October and these fun, fall baking project are calling our name(s):
I mean… OWL CAKES. Need I say more?
Then there are these Baked Cinnamon Sugared Pumpkin Doughnuts. They’re like the PSL of the baked doughnut craze. …Kinda.
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Rolls are a weekend treat.
And speaking of apples, have you tried Peggy’s Apple Cake yet? It’s my absolute fave.
Maybe it’s still pretty warm where you live. Maybe you want to get into the “all things pumpkin” spirit but really crave a cool, creamy treat. PUMPKIN MOUSSE is where it’s at!
Or maybe try this Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean Pudding – all dressed up and decked out for fall!
And if you’re looking to go the savory route, this Cheesy Leek & Delicata Squash Tart is a dream (on a sheet pan, no less!).
Apples, pumpkin, squash, mini Snickers, Oreos… it’s all fair game right now and it’s the BEST. Here’s to a productive weekend of seasonal baking!
Thursday again! Funny how it seems to happen every week. Tune in tomorrow for a fall baking roundup that’ll give your weekend new meaning!
In the meantime, here are some fun links for your eyeballs:
- I’ve been craving warmth and nourishment. Spicy Sautéed Kale with Tofu is the ticket!
- Disney princesses reimagined as hotdogs. Yup.
- I can’t believe Halloween is quickly approaching! Here are some creative ideas to use Halloween candy (if you ever get past shoving it immediately in your face).
- This is funny but like it’s actually not at all funny.
- Pie crust game strong.
- Reminder to book your holiday travel asap.
- Still have your old American Girl doll?
- As a former SF resident and current Seattle dweller, I found this pretty interesting.
- So excited for Billy’s book launch!!
Happy October! Wow, it’s October. That is insane. Let’s check out some fun links, huh?
- Soup season has officially BEGUN. How about this Leek & Fairytale Pumpkin Soup!
- Are you all up to date on And Eat It Too? There’s a new episode up today!!
- 8 Hottest New Bakeries in the US
- This cocktail from Kristin looks GOOD.
- Clarissa Explains It All? Salute Your Shorts?! Is this for real??
- YES to this.
- I was always more of a Veronica type of gal, but this is pretty cute.
- 100 Years of Wedding Dresses is pretty fun.
- Amanda’s Maple Butternut Squash Panna Cotta looks bomb dot com.
- And on a more serious note, WTF, AMERICA.
Oh look! A new recipe! Well hallelujah and glory be.
Is anyone else getting totally zonked by mercury in retrograde this month? If you’d asked me a week ago if I believed in this crock, I’d have told you to take your crock elsewhere, because I wasn’t buying it. But a batch of burned brownies, several stress-induced/bizarro dream-y sleepless nights, and not one but TWO clogged pipes later, the joke seems to be on me.
At least I’ve got a handle on breakfast.
Did you know that oatmeal could be luscious? Because it can! These are steel cut oats, cooked gently in water and milk, with plenty of salt and just a touch of sugar. They’re beautifully simple, but simply perfect – warm, incredibly creamy, just slightly chewy, and doused with a healthy amount of maple syrup. Plus a scatter of roasted pistachios and yeah, okay, maybe a handful of (un-photographed) chocolate chips because IT’S BEEN A WEEK.
Make these oats (or make a double batch!) this weekend, and eat breakfast like a goddess for days. Just store leftovers in the fridge, and scoop out a bowlful each morning to warm with some milk, or even a splash of cream. Because you deserve it! And mercury in retrograde can eat my oats.
wait! there’s more…
Oh, hi Thursday! Lovely to see you. What do you think of these links?
- I mean, you know how much I love a good movie mashup music video.
- 10 tips from one week as a professional baker.
- Watch the video. Mind BLOWN.
- Looking for school snacks? Make Cherry Cashew Sesame Bars!
- I hate to ruin football for you, but… I might not ever watch again?
- Made me giggle.
- Can’t we all just be friends? (Ummm, this is SO CUTE.)
- How the desperate Norwegian salmon industry created a sushi staple.
- Ever wanted to Peanut-ize yourself? (Me neither, but now that I know it’s possible, I kind of do?)
- Adding this pie to my “to make” list this fall.