Sniff sniff, HONK sniff! I think I’ve officially entered the stage of life where someone in my house is always sick. Sniffles and coughs and viruses, oh my! (And Calder’s not even in daycare yet! Oh dear.) It’s all terribly glamorous and attractive, yes it is.
But what if rhubarb cake is a cure-all? Do tender crumb and sweet-tart fruit have healing powers? What if the soft cake is flecked with dark buckwheat flour, some Greek yogurt, and hints of citrus, too?
I’m going with yes. (And even if not, a friend I shared this cake with said it “tastes of unicorns,” so at the very least, we’ve got that going for us.) Join me!
Tender Rhubarb Snack Cake wait! there’s more…
Hello and happy Thursday, good people! After a week of air travel and following a sick baby around with Purell wipes (viral conjunctivitis, hooray!), I’m happy to be back in this space and sharing some LINKS for the weekend:
- Thinking this Best Zucchini Bread is a good call just now.
- Kinda fun.
- My Lamb Meatballs from #OnePanAndDone are on Food52! With spin-off recipes to take you through the week.
- I’ve been reading Joy for a long time, and love these posts of hers.
- Been really enjoying this site for great printed photos. The square print set is particularly fun.
- Would you try it? I’m thinking I’ll pass.
- Well geez.
- Cutest crib sheets!
- How come I could watch this all day?
Happiest of Thursdays to you! I’m headed to San Antonio tomorrow for some fun (and a #OnePanAndDone demo!) at the Book Festival — any chance I’ll see you there?
Meanwhile, here are some links for your day:
- Need a trusty recipe for charoset (aka apple date walnut salad) this Passover? I’ve got you covered!
- OPRAH LIKES MY SHAKSHUKA YOU GUYS
- Yikes! Guilty. I’m going to be better about this.
- Even if you’re not into basketball, you have to love Steph Curry (he knows all the words to Moana!).
- Plus more James Corden hilarity.
- Adding to my to-try list!
- But like seriously 😂😂😂 (Also this is why the only thing I want to watch is the Great British Baking Show)
- I’ve really been enjoying Ashley’s food videos lately.
- I just reorganized my pantry and I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.
Here we are at Thursday again! I hope you’re finding some joy this week. Here, some links to help towards that end:
- Thinking ahead for Easter? Chocolate Spring Flower Cookies hit the mark.
- This is so lovely, and really hits home right now (via Joy the Baker).
- What IS umami?
- A super clear and simple sustainable fish guide! Thank you, Mark Bittman. 🙌🏼
- Like we needed another reason to visit Paris…
- This is SO GOOD though.
- Millenial pink, definitely a thing. Into it or no?
- Allison Robicelli, crushing it since… I don’t know, for a long time ok?
- Cool, climate change… COOL.
I’ve lived in Seattle for over three years, and while I love this city, I just have to say: Seattle has a bagel problem. Having moved here from New York City (by way of San Francisco, fine), I admit my standards are high, but Seattle, come on! Get your bagel game together.
I’m looking for a New York style bagel. A bagel bagel. I don’t want one of these “Montreal-style” shenanigans. I’m looking for a bagel that’s bigger than my fist, one with a chewy crust (with just a bit of crackle), and a crumb that’s tender but not overly doughy.
I’M LOOKING FOR LOX AND SCHMEAR. Can I get an amen?
In my dreams, I open up a wildly successful bagel shop here in Seattle. We sell hot, fresh bagels, plain and flavored cream cheese, and lox on lox on lox. Also maybe some black and white cookies, because I miss those, too. Side of fresh OJ and coffee with extra cream?
It’s a nice dream. Until then, these homemade bagels will have to do.
wait! there’s more…
Hey, friends! I’ve got homemade BAGELS coming for you tomorrow, so check back soon, but here are some links for your week!
- Craving that Pink & Green Salad.
- I love Sesame Street.
- Aaaand again. Can we just all live on Sesame Street?
- Phoebe made the Braised Chicken w Leeks and Tarragon from #onepananddone! Holla.
- This is my kind of bracket.
- Face palm.
- Excited to get my hands on Joy’s new book!
- Interesting. Have you tried Whole 30?
- Hiplet! (Hip-LAY)
- LOVE THIS! Have you entered Sarah’s giveaway? You could win a copy of One Pan & Done!
Happy Thursday, friends! I’ve been battling a very rude cold this week and, as a result, have watched way too many episodes of the Great British Baking Show on Netflix. Highly recommend. Here, your links!
- Tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day! Not really my thing but I don’t hate a Homemade Shamrock Shake.
- The rainy cold of Seattle (for the past, um, weeks? months? it hasn’t been years, has it? hard to say, really) has me craving this.
- If you haven’t seen this, HAHAH.
- And then, of course, this. 😂
- Love this review of OP&D!
- As someone who reads cookbooks like novels, I agree.
- Yes to the Oxford comma!
- I can’t remember if I already posted about this, but I’M EXCITED.
Happy Pi(e) day, peeps! Today feels like an infinitely good day to enjoy a slice. Here are some of my favorite pies for you!
Blond Bottom Coconut Cream Pie is a wow, on all kinds of levels.
Salty Chocolate Cream Pie sounds like a good idea on a snowy Pi Day, just saying.
Buttermilk Chess Pie is some more creamy dreaminess.
This Deeply Pecan Pie is my favorite pie, full stop.
And everyone loves a Jumbleberry Pie!
Happy Pi Day and Pie Day to you!
We celebrated my kid’s first birthday over the weekend, and BOY if the day wasn’t a roller coaster of emotions. The mixture of pride and elation and nostalgia and exhaustion and pure joy… whew. All of the feelings showed up to the party.
In fact, over the past 365 days, I’m pretty sure I’ve emoted aaaaall of the emotions. Parenthood is both harder and better than I thought it would be, and this little boy of mine – this one year old (!) – with his happy, curious face, the one that looks up at me every morning and squeaks “hi!” from his crib, makes every moment (even the middle-of-the-night-wailing ones, the throw-up-on-my-new-shoes ones, the will-I-ever-sleep-again-please-please-please ones) so very worth it.
It feels like both a lifetime ago and just yesterday that Calder was placed in my arms for the first time, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget that moment – both of us sizing each other up, his tiny hand wrapped around my finger, the two of us clinging to each other like our lives depended on it (they kind of did). Since then, he’s grown into a sweet and playful little boy with a coating of blond duck fuzz instead of hair on his head – a boy who drums on any surface he can reach (especially if he can use a set of spoons as drumsticks), delights in learning animal sounds (so far we’ve got “bahh,” “moo,” and “roar” on lock), wiggles on command (my favorite thing), loves croissants and feels lukewarm about avocados (go figure).
Happy birthday, little man of mine. You are ONE! What a wild and wonderful ride.
Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting wait! there’s more…
I’m trying to process some major feelings this week, because MY KID TURNS ONE on Saturday! Holy smokes. Excuse me while I go sob into my cereal.
In the name of distraction, here are your Thursday links!
- Brown Butter Citrus Madeleines! Bookmark for weekend baking.
- Just choosing to ignore this, thanks.
- One pot cooking meets… Disney? What do you make of this?
- I love this.
- An excellent headline.
- I never really thought about this, but it all makes sense. I’m going to use less black pepper!
- This is fun.
- This is kinda neat.