I’M HEADED FOR YOU, AMERICA!
I’ve had one fantastic trip to Europe, but I’m real glad to come home this weekend. I’ve been dreaming of peanut butter. Of burgers and beers and flag cake. Of FREEDOM, y’know?
If you’re looking for a few last minute ideas for your 4th of July celebration, allow me to suggest these (both delicious AND patriotic) gems:
The brownie berry tart! A good idea always.
Marionberry pie (or a mix of blue- and- blackberry, if you like) could be fantastic. I’m imagining tiny stars cut out of the top crust instead of circles? #America.
A smoother, creamier pie option is this sour cream and fresh strawberry number.
You could always be everyone’s favorite person and just make red berries and cream pops! Yep yep.
Swap out the lilac in these strawberry lilac pavlovas for some fresh blueberries and you’re in business, Betsy.
Happy Fourth of July, America! I love you more than croissants. Mostly.
It’s July! And I’m in Basque country! I’ve been eating my weight in pintxo’s (bread and jamon, mostly, but also some chorizo and cheese and squid, for good measure), and feeling pretty great about life in general.
Our honeymoon ends this weekend, and I’m excited to get back to the good old U.S of A, but in the meantime, here are some links:
- An interesting perspective (literally) on food additives.
- Great American sandwiches! (But they forgot about hoagies.)
- Go, girl.
- I know this is a few days old now, but YES. FINALLY!
- Time to bring this Cornmeal Peach Cobbler back into rotation.
- Why is this such an abomination? #peas #guac
- THIS is an abomination.
- Pretty patriotic treats! Stay tuned tomorrow for some of my own.
Happy Thursday from Paris!! I’m busy drinking wine and eating straight up butter, so enjoy these links!
- This time last year we were making date shake popsicles! So good.
- Hip hop goes to Broadway. I LOVE this.
- I’d live here.
- I’d like to reconfirm these findings with my own study.
- This is pretty fun. #TeamUSA
- Can we talk about these mac and cheese WAFFLES?
- Anyone have 100 extra bucks?
- This is exciting. #tacoemoji
- The evolution of dude.
- International home habits you didn’t know existed.
I feel like I’m always “saving” my good clothes – the cute swingy tops and dry clean only dresses and rompers and jeans that fit perfectly – just for the really right time to wear them. As a result, I often find myself out and about in the world, kicking around in ratty leggings (the ones which are thinning in places, oy) and ugly tee shirts because all of the good clothes I own? I’m saving them. Keepin’ em fresh. For when it really counts!
Am I the only one who does this? It’s insane.
Luckily, I’ve decided that our honeymoon – or, more specifically, PARIS – is the right time for a person to dress like she means it. But now I feel like I’m out of practice! I’m fumbling around with this top and those pants and what about these shoes? What goes together, anyway?
HELP. Everyone here is #chic and my only instinct is to choose stripes. Like, all the time. I’m not sure it’s cutting it here on l’Île de la Cité.
At least I can make pizza?
I made this the other night (stateside), when I was short on time and long on asparagus. I bought a ball of dough from Whole Foods and went to town. Spread with herbed goat cheese, crisp asparagus, and tangy artichoke hearts, it was an unexpected and satisfying weeknight dinner. Ben and I polished off half the thing in one sitting, and the leftovers made an excellent cold lunch.
wait! there’s more…
Thursday, boo-ya! It’s been a busy week around these parts – Ben and I are getting ready to go on our (long-awaited) honeymoon this weekend, and there are lots of loose ends to tie up before we go. I’ve got some good recipes lined up for you guys this week and next, so keep checking back in! As for the trip, we’re spending two weeks traipsing around France and Spain, and I cannot wait one bit.
Speaking of – got any can’t miss places in Paris, Bordeaux, San Sebastian or Pamplona?? Do tell!
Here, your thinking links:
- LOVE this cookbook roundup!
- Actually nice neighbor notes.
- If Jane Austen got feedback from some guy in a writing workshop. HAH.
- Not sure how I feel about this. #chunkymonkey
- Just bought these bad boys and am PSYCHED to break them in this summer!
- Lamps as art! These are cool.
- Reminder: party figs exist and are phenomenal.
- Acca-scuse me? Is this for real?
- This cute video kind of makes me miss SF.
- Maybe airports aren’t the absolute worst?
Happy day! It’s Thursday and I have some links for you! Enjoy, friends.
- Great news! It’s getting hot enough for WATERMELON LIMESICLES!
- Did you watch the Tony Awards on Sunday? This performance blew me away.
- Last week was National Doughnut Day, and the internet BLEW UP. In a good way.
- This is pretty mesmerizing.
- Made me laugh.
- As we dive into summer produce, I thought you might be interested to learn about the “Dirty Dozen” (and the “Clean Fifteen!”)
- I met Nicole a few weeks ago at a QVC training, and she and I just clicked. I love her adorable videos!
- My Gramma is famous!! #GrammaInez #SousChef
- Amy Schumer continues being hilarious.
- Yuppie + Hipster = Yuccie? Am I one?
I made us cornbread!
I actually made it a few weeks ago, but I never got around to telling you about it and at this point I’ve eaten it all, but now that the temperature has dropped below 80 in Seattle, it might be time to bake up a new batch. I think you’ll like it.
I also think you’d like our house, which boasts an entirely barren upstairs floor but a downstairs that’s coming along just fine. I wish I could have you over for breakfast! We’d eat cornbread and honey and maybe some fruit salad, too. We could pick our own strawberries and mint from the backyard! We’d stoop low to pluck the small green leaves and the tiny, ruby things and we’d say hi to the spiders who keep watch over the garden. They still make me jump, but I’ve learned to appreciate those spiders. Kind of.
wait! there’s more…
Happy Thursday, friends! I feel like this week has been kind of a doozy. Let’s get lost in some links. Your thinking links to start the month!
- Def revisiting that Waffled French Toast up there for brunch this weekend. Just saying.
- Balloon animal art is a thing and it’s awesome!
- There’s a fun roundup of recipes from #SheetPanSuppers over on Sunday Supper Movement
- SO excited for this sequel (prequel?). #yousmelllikeburger
- Well, this is disappointing.
- Legs of Instagram! Three cheers for body positive art.
- This is a cute story (and an amazing photo, too!)
- That time I was on QVC and did the happy dance.
- 100 years of fashion in 2 minutes.
- Sticky apricot basil chicken thighs?? Yes please.
Oh hi, June! It’s lovely to see you.
Except everyone is talking about how Mercury is in retrograde, which essentially means that things are getting WEIRD and ANNOYING around here. Now, I’m not usually one to buy what the stars are selling me, but I’m having trouble shrugging this one off, mainly because of all of the WEIRD and ANNOYING stuff that the universe seems to be throwing my way. I won’t harp on most of it because nothing is really all that consequential – in fact, I was ready to give Mercury the benefit of the doubt and send it on its merry (if retrograded) way – but then my freezer up and stopped working for a hot sec (except it was many hot seconds, hours even), thawing everything in it to a nice, soupy mush, for no apparent reason whatsoever. BAH! Mercury, you salty asshat.
Normally I’d take solace for this annoyance in a pint of ice cream, but that doesn’t seem to be an option just now. (#IceCreamSoup).
On the bright side, I’m eating more salad.
wait! there’s more…
Hello, Thursday! Here are this week’s links for you:
- It’s coming on time for jumbleberry pie!
- There’s a Point Break remake on the horizon? ARE YOU SERIOUS? #JohnnyUtah
- Not Gen X, and not Millenials. Generation Catalano?
- The real shelf life of pantry items (hashtag time to toss that pumpkin pie spice).
- Super interesting (short) documentary about WWII, war and peace.
- Tim Tam Pavlova! Is this real life?
- The 17 worst company logos ever invented.
- If guy friends vacationed like girl friends.
- How rich would you be if you’d invested instead of having a wedding? I don’t even want to know.
- Mindy Kaling & B.J. Novak – the book! (Kelly & Ryan 4eva).