Okay people, let’s get serious here. Leaves are turning and temps are dropping and it’s definitely time! In short, it’s a Friday in October and these fun, fall baking project are calling our name(s):
I mean… OWL CAKES. Need I say more?
Then there are these Baked Cinnamon Sugared Pumpkin Doughnuts. They’re like the PSL of the baked doughnut craze. …Kinda.
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Rolls are a weekend treat.
And speaking of apples, have you tried Peggy’s Apple Cake yet? It’s my absolute fave.
Maybe it’s still pretty warm where you live. Maybe you want to get into the “all things pumpkin” spirit but really crave a cool, creamy treat. PUMPKIN MOUSSE is where it’s at!
Or maybe try this Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean Pudding – all dressed up and decked out for fall!
And if you’re looking to go the savory route, this Cheesy Leek & Delicata Squash Tart is a dream (on a sheet pan, no less!).
Apples, pumpkin, squash, mini Snickers, Oreos… it’s all fair game right now and it’s the BEST. Here’s to a productive weekend of seasonal baking!
Thursday again! Funny how it seems to happen every week. Tune in tomorrow for a fall baking roundup that’ll give your weekend new meaning!
In the meantime, here are some fun links for your eyeballs:
- I’ve been craving warmth and nourishment. Spicy Sautéed Kale with Tofu is the ticket!
- Disney princesses reimagined as hotdogs. Yup.
- I can’t believe Halloween is quickly approaching! Here are some creative ideas to use Halloween candy (if you ever get past shoving it immediately in your face).
- This is funny but like it’s actually not at all funny.
- Pie crust game strong.
- Reminder to book your holiday travel asap.
- Still have your old American Girl doll?
- As a former SF resident and current Seattle dweller, I found this pretty interesting.
- So excited for Billy’s book launch!!
Happy October! Wow, it’s October. That is insane. Let’s check out some fun links, huh?
- Soup season has officially BEGUN. How about this Leek & Fairytale Pumpkin Soup!
- Are you all up to date on And Eat It Too? There’s a new episode up today!!
- 8 Hottest New Bakeries in the US
- This cocktail from Kristin looks GOOD.
- Clarissa Explains It All? Salute Your Shorts?! Is this for real??
- YES to this.
- I was always more of a Veronica type of gal, but this is pretty cute.
- 100 Years of Wedding Dresses is pretty fun.
- Amanda’s Maple Butternut Squash Panna Cotta looks bomb dot com.
- And on a more serious note, WTF, AMERICA.
Oh look! A new recipe! Well hallelujah and glory be.
Is anyone else getting totally zonked by mercury in retrograde this month? If you’d asked me a week ago if I believed in this crock, I’d have told you to take your crock elsewhere, because I wasn’t buying it. But a batch of burned brownies, several stress-induced/bizarro dream-y sleepless nights, and not one but TWO clogged pipes later, the joke seems to be on me.
At least I’ve got a handle on breakfast.
Did you know that oatmeal could be luscious? Because it can! These are steel cut oats, cooked gently in water and milk, with plenty of salt and just a touch of sugar. They’re beautifully simple, but simply perfect – warm, incredibly creamy, just slightly chewy, and doused with a healthy amount of maple syrup. Plus a scatter of roasted pistachios and yeah, okay, maybe a handful of (un-photographed) chocolate chips because IT’S BEEN A WEEK.
Make these oats (or make a double batch!) this weekend, and eat breakfast like a goddess for days. Just store leftovers in the fridge, and scoop out a bowlful each morning to warm with some milk, or even a splash of cream. Because you deserve it! And mercury in retrograde can eat my oats.
wait! there’s more…
Oh, hi Thursday! Lovely to see you. What do you think of these links?
- I mean, you know how much I love a good movie mashup music video.
- 10 tips from one week as a professional baker.
- Watch the video. Mind BLOWN.
- Looking for school snacks? Make Cherry Cashew Sesame Bars!
- I hate to ruin football for you, but… I might not ever watch again?
- Made me giggle.
- Can’t we all just be friends? (Ummm, this is SO CUTE.)
- How the desperate Norwegian salmon industry created a sushi staple.
- Ever wanted to Peanut-ize yourself? (Me neither, but now that I know it’s possible, I kind of do?)
- Adding this pie to my “to make” list this fall.
Happy Thursday, all you peeps! I’ve been remiss in my linkage of late, but here are some fun ones for your weekend:
- Remember those Baked Coconut Caramel Doughnuts? #WeekendBrunch?
- Is this real life?
- Are you all caught up on the And Eat It Too podcast? There’s a new episode up today!
- This made me laugh.
- A genius tip for making your favorite sack dress (and I DO love a good sack dress) more flattering.
- Science! So cool.
- But like… this guy just really loves ribs, though.
- Hahaa this is pretty accurate.
- This looks SO GOOD.
Oh HI! You may have noticed my random and entirely unannounced little blog break over here. Yep! I didn’t think about this little nook of the interwebs for ten whole days, and I have to say, it was kind of spectacular.
Not that I didn’t miss you! I definitely did. But sometimes, life starts to bubble up around you and ping you with stress (and sometimes it even gives you the shingles virus, TRUE STORY), and you need. a. break. And it’s okay! Things don’t fall apart. In what I find a both reassuring and terrifying universal constant, the interwebs are ALWAYS here.
So HELLO, people of the interwebs! What have you been up to these first few days of September? Soaking in the last rays of bright summer sunshine? Or hopping on the autumn train early to featherweight cashmere and pumpkin spice lattés?
I always find this time of year tricky. I want to savor the last drops of summer, to make it to one more outdoor concert, to eat dinner on the patio, but at the same time, fall is a welcome change. Something about routine getting righted, and my old boots, and feeling content to turn on the oven again, maybe? It feels happy and familiar.
I’m calling this zucchini bread “best,” because I’ve made a lot of zucchini bread, and this version is by far my favorite. Other recipes often come out of the oven too watery and dense, or else don’t really taste much like zucchini. This loaf is sturdy yet springy, rich and cakey but definitively zucchini bread. I made it twice in two weeks — that’s four loaves, total — and we didn’t even have any leftovers to freeze for later. It feels like the right kind of recipe for this time of year – hanging loosely onto summer while settling cozily into fall.
wait! there’s more…
For those of you who didn’t catch it, here’s a clip of my appearance on the TODAY Show this week! (I’m trying to sound really casual about this but HOLY SMOKES I’m doing all kinds of dances over here.)
Here’s me trying not to look too awkward outside 30 Rock. #nailingit
And here’s the post-live television payoff: mint straciatella gelato from Eataly! Side of J.Crew flats. Yum.
Have a great weekend, friends! I’ll be back next week with some recipes for you. Happy weekending! xo
Well HEY, it’s Thursday! Again! The weeks, they are flying by. This week I’ve been consumed with blackberries, new garden designs, and (huge surprise here) lots of popsicles. I’ve also been up to my elbows in (sheet pan) brownie ice cream sandwiches, which I’m making for a friend’s wedding next weekend. Hooray!
Here are a few fun links for your weekend:
- I was so honored to be interviewed by Emily of Garden Dine Love. She’s so lovely!
- Remember when we made Dorie’s Swedish Visiting Cake with Apricots & Cherries? That’d be a good one just about now.
- This seems kinda fun, in a temporary kitchen fixer upper kinda way.
- Did you check out all of the amazing summer drinks featured at the #drinkthesummer boozy bash? So many good ones! In particular, these fresh spritzers, these rosé slushies and this fruity sangria really made my mouth water.
- Is gluten sensitivity all in our heads?
- I mean, how cute is Jaques Pépin though?
- I want to try this.
- When babies lead modern dance classes.
- Life in six words.
Hey, all! Today I’m celebrating #DRINKTHESUMMER (a low-key, high-vibe, boozy internet bash created by Sherrie and Renee ) with these sweet, smokey, spicy whiskey smashes!
They’re everything that’s great about summer (which I’m trying my best to pretend isn’t almost almost over), in drink form. Juicy fresh peaches and a smack of lemon? Check. Ginger bubbles? Check. Whiskey? Check CHECK.
Let’s ignore the fact that it’s almost September (gah!) and get into this end-of-summer drink the drinks situation. Everyone’s doing it! In fact, if ginger peach whiskey smashes aren’t your thing (but like, come on… they are), you can find a whole slew of other summertime libations (both alcoholic and non) created by a great group of bloggers below!
Join the fun. #drinkthesummer!
wait! there’s more…